Thursday, September 22, 2011

Progress Report 31

Wow, chapter 39 just did not want to end.  I introduced a new supporting character and the old bastard was so excited to be included in the story, I just could not get him to shut up.  I get a narrative perspective headache from him.  Here I am in the present, writing a story that takes place in the future.  Only, it is a novel, you know, so you tell the story in the past tense:

 Jack and Jill went up the hill.  Jill pushed Jack into a vat of radioactive waste and he went on to become a notable, but sadly tragic symbol for super villains everywhere.

Like that. So in the present, writing the future, spoken like the past.  Then some old timer pops into my lovingly crafted setting and starts reminiscing about the past.  He does not care how confusing this can become.  He, like many of us, is indifferent to the feelings of his creator.  So now I am in the present, writing about the future, using a past voice, about a guy that won't shut up about HIS past.  And now he had me writing about writing about it.  It is a freaking house of mirrors in my brain right now.  I may cause a temporal anomaly if I don't just get over it.

Anyway, chapter 39.  What happens to the interstate highway in a post automotive civilization?  How does a celebrity go about bumming a ride from a fan?  Who is this old man who won't shut up?  The answers to these questions and many more can be found in my upcoming novel, Normal Heroes.  But don't take my word for it, grab a copy when it comes out.

chapter 39 word count - 3103

new grand total - 96,288

Thank you to everyone who has been adding me, following me, friending me or whatever your particular social networking platform calls it.  I appreciate the support, kindness, and love sent by the magic of computers to the alchemy of my eyeballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment