Saturday, September 10, 2011

Catch 22, self promotion edition.

"I know!" I said to myself, "I'll write a super-nifty book and sell it on the internet.  Then me and my two feral cats and my pet monkey can buy some kind of cult compound out in the desert, where we can hide out from psychotic rednecks and other various relations."

Seemed like a good idea.  I looked at Amazon and B & N who are just rabid poodles for indie content right now.  I read a lot of writing advice.  I channeled the spirit of Joseph Campbell with my magic 8-ball and convinced him I was twice as nerdy as George Lucas.  I test drove some open source word processing apps and finally, I started typing.

All the free advice for indie writers said "Social Networking, you inbred caveman!"  So I thought up a clever pen-name and made some accounts.  (We are talking about a person who doesn't use a cell phone or email, here.  My high-tech communications device is a post office box I check once or twice a month.)

So, our hero finds himself with a small and insignificant presence on the good old triple w.  He writes witty little 140 character fortune cookies on twitter, he tries and mostly fails to get a facebook account and he launches this blog.  He writes his novel like a madman.

So, here's the catch 22.  How do you promote content that is still being created with a web-presence everyone ignores?  I need a wizard, or maybe some dancing girls.  Dancing wizard girls?  Celebrity endorsements from dancing wizard girls? Call in the yakuza?

If you accidentally read this, I could use your advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment