Sunday, September 4, 2011

Progress Report 2

I wrote another 2000 words before passing out yesterday.  Today I switched word processors.  I was using Abi-word, which is quite nice, but it's grammar checking function kept over-heating my PC.  So I downloaded OpenOffice.  It is a lot bigger and clunkier, but seems to run more smoothly.  As I hope to edit and format the novel myself, a powerful word processor is a must.  I even found a little plug-in for it that saves directly to epub, my preferred ebook format.

Also I set up a Facebook account.  Being something of a dinosaur and a hermit, I am completely in the dark about social networking.  Everyone says it is a must for indie authors so I guess I should figure out how to use it.  It all seems so creepy to me, collecting friends like they are Pokemon, getting customized advertising robots that read your profile, and esoteric algorithms that hunt down your junior-high sweetheart.  I will see if my local library annex has a copy of "Social Networking for Inept Cavemen" and give it a read.

Anyway my Facebook username is: AMasonCarpenter 

No.  It is not.  Apparently these information guzzling behemoths want to send a text to my mobile device in order to activate the account.  I feel this discriminates against the lazy and anti-social.  If I had more energy and could find a lawyer who did not merit an immediate thrashing, I would organize a class-action lawsuit against Facebook.  Guess I will try twitter.


So hop on there and make me famous.


I should get back to work now...

No comments:

Post a Comment